Saturday, June 23, 2012

Week 4 of 116



I can’t believe it’s been a month. Madness how time flies. At the beginning of the week a few of us went to Glow Camp in Stepanavan, Armenia. This is such a fantastic program. Its purpose is to empower young girls to address social, cultural, and environmental issues in their local communities. Despite the short duration of the 6 day camp, follow-ups throughout the year condone activism, longevity, and thus sustainability.  Going to Glow Camp reminded me of Summer Bridge and it’s mission! Retention and graduation! Shoutout to my TRiO family! I’m motivated to be involved in either this camp or something similar to it at my permanent site, which by the way, I find out in 4 days! Ahh. So. Much. Anticipation.  
                I did, however, get sick this week. I think my immune system finally gave up on me…but it’s okay. I got plenty of rest, drank an obscene amount of H2o, and felt better. No worries. Be happy.
                I received Cara’s postcard, my mom’s care package, and Mandy’s letter! Totes made my day. I appreciate your kindness and your effort in keeping in touch with me!
                We visited the capital, Yerevan. Fist we got a tour of the Peace Corps office. We perused the library and office spaces. Then we all split up. Some went to the genocide museum, history museum, ancient manual script museum, glass museum, and some just meandered around. I had signed up to see the art museum. It was really nice. I wish I was artistically inclined. I also wished I had more time to savor everything…but alas we were on a time crunch. I wanted to go to Vivacell, my cell phone carrier, to put more money on it, since I’m on a prepaid plan. I also wanted to go to the supermarket to browse for future reference, post office, and buy correspondence supplies at a paper shop. We did make it to a sushi restaurant. Nothing to brag about the restaurant, but my sushi cravings have been satiated. I can’t believe I can travel an hour away from my village and be slapped in the face with such amenities from the city. It was a beautiful day to people watch and pound the pavement. Yerevan actually reminded me of New Delhi, especially with the orange bricks and governmental/ parliamenl buildings. I miss my India travelling Semester at Sea Academic Adventure-ers!
                Even though I’ve never had asthma, I sometimes have trouble breathing here…and I think it’s the high elevation. But I’ll adjust in due time. Moving with mi queso.
                I’m so thankful to have met so many cool cats—figuratively speaking folks, because you all know that I’m allergic to actual cats!) haha I’m excited for what the future holds for us all.
                This last part goes to Allen. I’m sorry for acting like a crazy person. There is so much more I want to say to you about what had happened. I took my frustrations out on you and that’s not fair. I don’t know if you’ll ever see this, and I know that saying that ‘I’m sorry’ doesn’t cut it sometimes because actions speak louder than words, but there’s only so much I can DO right now. I hope you can forgive me.  I love you and I miss you. I hope we can be friends again one day, hopefully sooner than later.
                Last but not least, I feel a calm and peace I haven’t felt in a long time. Everything is looking bright and optimistic. Remember to stop to smell the roses from time to time! Infinite hugs and kisses, phiL.

2 comments:

  1. Phi! Hi Hi! i just caught myself up on your blog and WOWZA! i wish i had your courage and confidence to voluntarily be outside of my comfort zone. a whole month? fast huh? i hope all is well, ill be checking in more often. :) later later! take care! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sophia I can't believe it's been a month. Hope your doing well... Positive vives and thoughts go out to you. Continue having fun and I can't wait to read your next update.

    Mucho amor,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete