Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Week 5 of 116





“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenges and controversy.” Martin Luther King, Jr.

This last week has felt like a month in itself. We had our community project on Sunday. We interacted with the children in our training villages and towards the end we were able to give small gifts and prizes to the children. It was a glorious success. Thanks for everyone’s participation! Monday, I found out my permanent site for the next 2 years. I’ll be in the Armavir Region in a village called Karakert. It is West central of Armenia (supposedly, we can see parts of Turkey from our village). Tuesday and Wednesday we had mock language interviews. At the end of training we have a language assessment and this determines our status as volunteers. Thursday and Friday we attended our Counterpart Conference. This was an interesting experience. Apparently, Armenians are do not hesitate to answer their phones during these sessions and workshops. Furthermore, they would have these ridiculously loud ringtones. My counterpart is pretty young. She is 32 years old and has one son who is 11 years old. She’s been teaching for 12 years or so. Then for Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday, we visited our new villages. I am so incredibly blessed to have a current peace corps volunteer at my site. Our village is pretty big, population size is approximately 5,000 ppl, but these are all estimations. We have two schools. One is being renovated this summer by COAF and the other was renovated a few years ago. I’m really excited to have a relatively new school. Also, we have a community center. I really want to have a foreign film club with community members…but we will have to see what the community wants to have first. My new host family is very young. My host mom is 26 years old. We have a one and three year old girls. We have an outhouse near the garden. Water is scarce in Karakert. Drinking water is delivered on a big truck daily. Water for around the house use is stored in huge containers..but I noticed that my host family is very careful about the amount of water they use. The family owns an apricot orchard and I took advantaged of this and ate so many apricots! Yum. Going back to Akunk, I am determined to make the best out of the time we have left here. A few of the volunteers and language teachers are going out to a local restaurant in the village to celebrate America’s Independence Day today. I miss all of you at home. Remember to send me letters! My address is on the right! I’ve gots to go to practice some yoga. Toodles for now!

<3
Phi Fi Fo Fum

No comments:

Post a Comment