Monday, July 23, 2012

Month two down. 25 months to go.



This room has crazy acoustics

Geghard

I love you Mother Earth

Armene before going out :) 
Where to begin? Maybe I’ll start with some of my favorite Armenian words. The verb to play is an all time favorite. The transliteration is KHHAGHAL. The Kh- and Gh- sounds come from the back of your throat. Why it is my favorite is self explanatory if you tried to say it. My affinity for the word bag (PAYOOSACK) has grown exponentially. It would randomly pop into my head at odd times, such as when I’m brushing my teeth in the morning. I think it is the way I emphasize the P and S that makes it particularly ridiculous. Lately the word SKEEZEBEATS AND SKEEZEBOOM has climbed the charts in popularity. They mean from the beginning/at the beginning of time. I’m an oddball, I know.
                Summer has been in full swing in Armenia. Folks are preparing for the winter by jarring fruits, making jam, drying apricots, stocking up in bales of hay for the animals, and so on. I helped my host mom pick what seemed like thousands of cherries from our garden. We then went though them taking the stems off. Wash the cherries a few times, and we took the pits out with bobby pins. The cherries are then cooked with an obscene amount of sugar. Voila, jam is made and preserved.
                I became somewhat restless with our routine…so I asked my host sister to take a serendipitous trip with me to Yerevan. It was wonderful to wander the streets, eat, drink, relish the sights, and people watch. As we were riding the bus back to our village at the end of the day, and the sun was setting over the picturesque horizon, a wave of emotions came crashing down on me. This is going to be my home for the next two years. Fear and excitement of the unknown is the perfect combination to satiate my desires for adventure, personal, and professional growth. How did I get this lucky to have this life-changing opportunity? Shits is cray cray.
                We are lucky to have a few restaurants in Akunq. One of which is this fancy fish restaurant. Two other volunteers and I had dinner there. The fish was so fresh. Awesome company, conversation, food, drinks, and location I could not have asked for more. I need to come back again. Writing about the fish is making me hungry.
                The weather is extremely different from that of San Diego’s. One minute it’s cool and balmy and the next thing you know thunder is heard in the background shortly followed by pouring rain. One of my favorite memories is when we were sitting in a cafĂ© and the wind picks up. I think I was smacked in the face several times by some tree limbs on my way to the water closet due to the raging wind. I ran outside to the road to get a better view. And because of the wind storm the clouds blown in were magnificent with the sun in the backdrop. I got carried away taking a buttload of photos. In the moment, I felt so liberated and exhilarated. I guess it doesn’t take much for me to get excited and happy J
                On July 14th, we had a cultural field trip through the Peace Corps. We went to the Temple of Garni and Church of Geghard. It’s mind boggling how old these monuments are. It makes me wonder about its own story, the people that have been through there and their own stories about their lives. Armenia is saturated with history. I can’t wait to learn more in our cross-cultural sessions.
                The 15th was a holiday called Vardavar. This is the holiday where people throw water on each other all day long. It was a pagan holiday, but ever since Christianity was adopted on the national level, the holiday has morphed. From what I’ve gathered, people throw water on each other to wish prosperity and other good intentions. My sister threw some on me while I was having lunch…I thought I was safe from the douse because I was inside of the house, sitting on their sofa…oh how I was wrong.
                My friend Terrance I and are team teaching together for model school for the next two weeks. We make a fabulous team. The first two days went really well. We got constructive criticism for our next classes. I am enjoying teaching more than I’ve expected. I have so much fun with it.
                I know I’ve been rambling…so I should end this soon. I am learning to appreciate family so much more now…having observed the family dynamic here. It’s beautiful. Having grown up in a broken home…I’m getting more excited to mend current relationships and at the thought of having my own family somewhere down the road.
                I’ve volunteered to sing with the choir for the Swearing-In Ceremony. It’s an Armenian hymn. I miss singing so this is going to be a wonderful opportunity. I’ll keep y’all posted soon enough. Miss everyone back at home.
Cheers,
Phi
P.S….. Guess What? ;)

1 comment:

  1. Your pictures are awesome!! :) glad to hear your time there has been so great so far. It sounds like your nerves are finally calming down and you're ready to tackle the rest of your time there with an open mind and open heart. :) I believe I missed your call last week... I have class Monday's and Tuesday's and Friday's along with work Monday through Thursday... I'll try and leave the room next time to answer. :) would love to catch up more via telephone. I look forward to more posts! Until next time... :)

    ReplyDelete